Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Monsters vs Aliens: Details Revealed

As my leg has healed to the point where I can actually sit with only minimal discomfort (BTW- thanks to everyone for the kinds words of concern about my recent condition, both on the comments section of this blog and in emails), I figured I’d get off my butt and start posting again. It's just as well, since Dreamworks recently revealed some information about their upcoming animated giant monster movie:

DreamWorks Animation has revealed the voice cast and released a new photo for their 2009 computer animated 3D film Monsters vs. Aliens.

Based on the horror comic Rex Havoc, the film attempts to reinvent the classic 1950’s monster B-movie starring Reese Witherspoon as Susan Murphy, a California girl who, on her wedding day, has the bad luck to be hit by a meteor, which causes her to grow to be 49 feet, 11½ inches tall. Captured by the military, she’s renamed Ginormica. The rest of the cast includes:

Rainn Wilson - the evil alien Gallaxhar
Hugh Laurie - Dr. Cockroach, Ph.D.
Seth Rogen - the jellylike B.O.B.
Will Arnett - the half-ape, half-fish Missing Link
Kiefer Sutherland - General W.R. Monger
Stephen Colbert - The President

I never would have guessed that film’s story would go for a “50-Foot Woman and her (literally) Howling Commandos”-sorta set-up, but it’s actually a pretty decent plot device so as to efficiently get to the point of fighting aliens (and that’s what I’m plunking money down for a ticket to see). While I’ve admittedly had little affection for Dreamworks’ previous animated efforts, hopefully this one will turn that opinion around.

No comments: