Sunday, March 13, 2011

2011 Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

Given the specific theme of this blog, I’ve never bothered to post articles about real world events but considering what’s happened to Japan in the last couple of days, I thought that I’d make an exception. I suppose it’s because Japan has been a significant contributor to the giant monster genre as a whole and there’s a certain grotesque irony in that the country is now experiencing the kinds of devastation commonly portrayed in Godzilla movies and the like. However, it’s one thing to present such events in a harmless fantasy film but there’s nothing more grim than seeing it happen in reality.


I was relieved to find out through emails that a Japanese friend of mine and a former teacher who had returned to the country years ago were both safe, along with their respective families. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for the thousands of people still suffering in the aftermath of this horrible ordeal. I hope and pray that things improve in the days (and months) to come.

No comments: