Sunday, June 28, 2009

Japanese Park Sculptures = Win

It’s been kinda quiet around here recently, huh? Unfortunately my life has been rather busy lately and as such, I haven’t had much time to sit down and put together some decent-sized articles for the blog (I’m currently trying to finish up a review for Mega Shark verses Giant Octopus, which should be up before too long). I did come across this little tidbit of awesomeness on the Japanator website which I thought I’d mention here.


It seems that the Japanese have been on a recent kick to produce “life-sized” statues of popular giant anime robots; the first is a 59-foot tall recreation of the popular robot from Mobile Suit Gundam which will stand in Tokyo’s Shiokaze Park for a two-month period starting in July.


Much cooler (I think, anyway) is the proposed Tetsujin 28 statue, which is planned as a permanent fixture of Wakamatsu Park in Kobe as a way to commemorate the achievements of manga creator, Mitsuteru Yokoyama. You can actually check out pictures of statue’s various stages of construction on the official website. Very, very neat. I wish we did stuff like this in North America. Don’t tell me that a series of 1:1 scale statues of various Ray Harryhausen monsters adorning public parks wouldn’t be more interesting than the usual fare of historical figures on horseback.

1 comment:

ChineseSoCal said...

This is such a great idea!!! I wonder who will be next? Goldar? Johnny socko's pal?